You know your olive oil is as good as anything around. Your olive oil is extracted from the very best olives so how do you stand out from all of the other olive oil brands around the world.
When marketing your olive oil, the first step is your identification. Everything starts with your olive oil labels. It is here that you can begin to promote yourself, your business and your brand.
Before you go any further in designing your labels, you will need to make sure your labels adhere by Australia’s food labelling laws. You must make sure your food labels are legal.
When selling food, your first obligation is to protect the consumer and this means you must adhere strictly to Australia’s Food Standards Code.
You can still work within those guidelines to make your olive oil labels and your brand really stand out from your competition. To be a leader in your industry, it is always important to educate your clients about the benefits of olive oil.
Do not assume that your competitors are doing this. When it comes to marketing, most businesses are ignorant. Here are some things to consider.
- Spruik the health and nutritional benefits of olive oil.
- Explain how olive oil is the cornerstone of the Mediterranean diet and many that live near the Mediterranean Sea are some of the healthiest people in the world.
- Sell the commonly held belief that olive oil is better for you than butter.
- The phytonutrient in olive oil reduces inflammation. This in turn can decrease the risk of getting breast cancer.
- The use of olive oil can lower your blood cholesterol which in turn reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Olive oil is rich in antioxidants such as Vitamin E and this reduces the risk of getting any form of cancer.
- Regular consumption of olive oil can also reduce blood pressure.
- A diet rich in olive oil improves blood sugar control and reduces your risk of getting diabetes.
- Despite being high in calories, olive oil also reduces the chances of becoming obese.
- Recent studies have also indicated that people that consume high levels of oil reduce the risk of getting rheumatoid arthritis.
- A high consumption of olive oil also helps with calcium absorption and hence, bone density and this reduces the chances of getting osteoporosis.
- A new study conducted in France also discovered that older people are less likely to get a stroke if they consume large doses of olive oil.
- A diet rich in olive oil can also slow down the aging of the heart.
- Spanish researchers also believe that a diet rich in olive oil can provide some protection against mental illness.
- The consumption of olive oil and other parts of the Mediterranean diet can also reduce the chances of getting skin cancer. The Mediterranean and Australian climates are both quite warm and yet Australians are 17 times more likely than those from the Mediterranean area of getting malignant melanoma.
- A diet rich in olive oil produces powerful antioxidants which may help reverse oxidative damage found in the aging process.
- The oleocanthal in extra virgin olive oil also has the potential to reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease.
OK, so you not going to have room to capture all of these benefits on your olive oil labels but there is nothing stopping you from highlighting a few.
Marketing can be a complex but it is also quite simple. Firstly, you must educate your clients and prospects as to why they need your product and next, explain why your product, in this case, olive oil, is better than that of your competitors. In other words, you must use your olive oil labels to describe the benefits for your prospects and customers.
Most of the time, this will be determined by the quality of your olives. Where do they come from? What makes them superior? What process is used in producing the olive oil you are selling?
Anyway, go and market your olive oil as best you can and remember marketing all starts with the label on your bottle of olive oil. This can develop new business and it is even more helpful in contributing to repeat business.